Sunday, January 27, 2019

Stupid mistake

Ugh!  I made my first stupid mistake with the instant pot.  I made mushroom barley.  It came out okay but half of it was burnt to the bottom of the pot.  For as long as it cooked, I didn't understand why it was so dry, why it burnt.  I had put it back on for a few extra minutes because it wasn't cooked through and saw my clue.  Steam condensation on top of the lid.  Turns out I forgot to put the gasket in, so it never pressurized.

Before that (last week, actually) I made mushroom beef.  I'll have to adjust the family recipe to the instant pot.  It was nice and soft but it didn't caramelize aka turn dark before the meat softened and I ended up with way too much gravy.  Thus I was trying to use up some gravy.  It usually cooks down and concentrates the flavor, which didn't happen in the instant pot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment