Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Help is not coming (rant #2)

Mom was discharged from nursing home last Friday and is back in assisted living.  I did a little math.  Hospital kept her a week for intravenous antibiotics but she was too weak to go back to assisted living, so she went to a nursing home for physical therapy.  Only they kept her there for as long as Medicare would pay for without out-of-pocket expenses, which is 21 days.  She did bounce back to hospital twice while she was there, but she probably could have been discharged 5-7 days earlier.  It's just all about insurance.

The caregivers are spread thin so I must go every night to be her private caregiver for a few hours every night.  I didn't go back Friday evening but I went early Saturday.  It was July 4.  I just wanted to make sure she is eating, she lost so much weight the month she was away in a black hole.  She preferred the boneless ribs I brought for my dinner to her cheeseburger so we traded then she had extra helpings of the watermelon I brought for her. 

Sunday, I was a bit late for dinner, 6:30-ish.  She was left in bed since lunch and her dinner was on the table.  Well she can't get out of bed herself, so nobody showed up in 2 hours to help her eat.  She's one-handed now, she's not able to cut up the chicken by herself.  I got her out of bed, she ate everything & more watermelon.  I don't have the confidence that anyone would come to help her if I choose to take a day off.

Monday, a work day for me, my stomach acids were churning up again, so I left the dinner I cooked on the kitchen counter and went to see Mom.  She ate all her dinner and had been put to bed already by 7pm.  They didn't take out her dentures.  I don't know when she was changed, but I asked them to look in on her by 10:30.  I don't know if it happened, but if they don't change her on schedule, I'm afraid she's headed for another UTI.  I was so tired, had to go home.

Tonight, Mom had already finished her dinner when I got there.  I had like 30 min turn-around time at home, which is no time to eat.  I packed my dinner & rushed off to see her.  I don't know what she had for dinner or how much but I she enjoyed the watermelon while I ate my dinner.  The nurse is new, Mom wasn't taking medicine from her.  I got her to take it.  I asked the caregiver to come back to help me put Mom to bed at 8pm.  Nobody came for an hour, so I pushed the button.  And pushed again after 20 min.  Nobody came for another 30 min.  By that time, I already prepped mom for bed & had her in bed.  I just needed help in cleaning her up.  Mom's very squirmy, doesn't like the cold disposable washcloths.  So my laundry doesn't get done again.  I know the caregiver is spread thin, she's tending to over half the residents all by herself today.  She's supposed to be training a new caregiver who went MIA tonight.  So that's me working over 12 hours today.

1 comment:

  1. Just to let you know I’m thinking of you. You are an amazing person. We are doing OK. Both still mobile and hoping to go see our great grandchildren in Kentucky next month. Never know with all the crazies out there. Take care of yourself, too. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete