Sunday, June 28, 2020

Another Japanese recipe

This weekend's recipe is okonomiyaki.  I had to make alot of substitutions after I couldn't find ingredients at the asian market.  I see them on Amazon for twice the price.  Okonomiyaki is savory pancakes stacked up and covered in sauce.  LOL, much like egg foo yung.

So I used regular pancake batter instead of plain flour.  Awesome sub!  I don't keep bacon around anymore.  If I want want the taste of bacon, I eat out. A full slab of bacon is just going to go bad in my fridge after I cook a few strips.  So I substituted SPAM.  It fit the bill of "pork" and had the saltiness of bacon.  I couldn't get hold of Japanese mayonnaise, I didn't miss it.  I didn't find okomi sauce, so I used Teriyaki sauce.  I couldn't find the seaweed sprinkles or bonito fish flakes but the furikake I had on hand was an awesome sub.  Wow, what a pile of food!  I ate a little over half and saved the rest for tomorrow's lunch.

So Mom has been in and out of hospital 3 times in the last month.  Last week I had an unsuccessful phone call after she returned to the nursing home.  Mom couldn't hear over the phone.  Today I was able to get a FaceTime.  She was not verbal but she mirrored my gestures like waving & blowing kisses.

I'm still overwhelmed by the back yard overgrowth.  Maybe next weekend.

Update on the yard (a day later):  I was scrolling for other tools to use on my back yard.  I found electric shears so I went to home depot.  They only had one brand in stock.  Ugh, I didn't want to spend $100, I didn't want a cordless but that's all they had.  I wanted something in the $20-50 range but what can you do.  I get the convenience of cordless but, like wireless computer mouse, they tend to be extra heavy because of the battery.  I"m still going to need the lopers for the bougainvilleas because the branches have had 2 years to get thick.  So now I'm motivated to go out and play with my new tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment