Saturday, May 25, 2019

"InstantPot" for one ?

Actually, it's called an Electric LunchBox (ELB).  It's a portable steamer about the size of my ol' Thermos food bucket.  Why?  I had a bug up my a$$.  I saw it on YouTube, I wanted to play with one.  I held off the purchase for months because the microwave will heat food in a few minutes, where it takes 10 times longer in the ELB.  Yea, 2 minutes vs 20 minutes.  There's no justification.

The people who buy this either have something against microwave ovens or don't have access to a microwave oven at work,  I think microwave ovens are the greatest addition to the kitchen in the last 50 years.  I bought my parents their first one in the 80's.  It cost about $1000 and came with a series of cooking lessons. The microwave and the ELB are great at warming up food.  The challenge is to cook with it.

Now that it's the weekend, this is the first chance I've had to play with it.  I have an electric steamer.  Before Mom moved in with me, I used it to cook my rice.  A rice cooker is actually more efficient at cooking rice, so I got a little rice cooker when I needed more capacity.  I've made rice in the ELB now.  I expected it to shut off but after 40 minutes, it was still going.  At least it wasn't overcooked.  Rice cooker takes 20 minutes for any amount up to capacity.

My first experiment was actually oatmeal.  I like the regular oats over the minute oatmeal.  It was awesome!  Easier than stovetop oatmeal, better than microwave oatmeal, which often cooks unevenly.  I will eat overnight oats, but I've decided it's not my preference.

I'm going to warm up lunch in the ELB today.  Recipes on the web feature mostly Asian food.  I like Asian food, but not all the time.  Outside of warming stuff up, future recipes include:
1) beans & weenies with cornbread
2) chili with cornbread
3) I should find a cornbread pudding recipe & substitute in the above
4) grits & eggs
5) ramen & steamed veggies w/ tofu
6) hmmm, what would go with a can of soup?  I like Progresso soups or the Chunky's.
7) frozen salmon w/ rice or couscous
8) chicken w/ baby potatoes

The reason I don't have puto here, even though it's meant to be steamed, is simply the quantity of batter.  I don't even like doing this in the 6qt Instant Pot, it works best for me steamed on the stovetop.







No comments:

Post a Comment