Saturday, May 11, 2019

Third time's the charm (cheesecake)

Yup, finally did it.  Followed Auntie's recipe to the letter. and it worked.  I did over bake it a bit.  Just a bit.  The graham cracker crust was too dark, I was trying to get some color on the filling.  Mom didn't like it at first, said it was too sweet.  What?  I cut the sugar in half! 

I am never ever going to buy strawberry or blueberry topping ever (not that I ever have).  SO EASY!  I didn't really have a recipe, I had left over fruit so I threw it into a little pot with sugar.  Both times  I overestimated the water to get it started, then I thickened it with powdered sugar (because I have too much) because  it has cornstarch.  Oooo, I'm going to try that with apple & with peaches when they come in season--just because.

Haven't been doing too much cooking lately.   After I got the Letter of Administration and I ended up going to Bank of America every day for 3 weeks straight after work before they finally released the Estate funds and I got accounts straightened out.  I was out so late, there was no time to cook, so I was bringing home fast food for those 3 weeks.

Last weekend I brought home country style pork ribs.  Had no idea how to cook it, got it because it looked good in the store..  Everything on the web said, "Easy!  Cover in BBQ sauce & stick it into the dutch oven."  Damn, I have no BBQ sauce.  So I made it up.  Ketchup, soy sauce, garlic powder, pepper, brown sugar, and a splash of cider vinegar.  Have you ever tried star anise?  Makes it taste like Chinese BBQ.  Threw it all into Instant Pot.  It was fall-off the bone, and moist.  Not hating pork anymore.  It's now my favorite cut of pork.  I'm never buying BBQ sauce again.


No comments:

Post a Comment