Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Mission #1 again

 

I'm much happier with this rendering in pencil. So, I can still draw.  But I'm trying to improve my watercolor.

I actually started my art journey with watercolor.  My first attempt was very successful but everything else after was crap except for some I did in Chinese Brush style.  The best advice I saw on the webs was "learn to draw first."  But what I learned from drawing class was to draw, draw, draw.  Draw everything, draw big.  If it's challenging, draw it again.  And it lead to drawing the human form.  We had drawing exercises in that class.  1 minute sketches, 2 minute sketches, 10 sketches on top of the other on the same page, no erasing, blind contour, etc.  My severe nearsightedness became an aid rather than a handicap.  I didn't have to squint, I just had to take off my glasses! Boom, I could see tones & color blocks...as long as the subject was right in front of me, anyway.

With an eye on the goal, I started adding color and went to other media. I didn't have the patience for colored pencil or oil paints.  I was frustrated with the dusty pastels but I really clicked with oil pastels.  However, using oil pastels is like using paints straight out of the tube, then mixing colors on the canvas (with a rubber blender).  I don't mind the look for sketches but sometimes I want it to look like a painting.  To do that, I need more space for more colors & tools, and THAT doesn't travel well.  I've tried traveling with a small kit of acrylic paints.  Ugh, that really needs some dedication & desire to work.  You know what travels well?  Watercolor pans.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful drawing! We are about the same on watercolor. I keep trying but the concentration about process makes it stiff I think. Anyhoo, this is so nice.

    ReplyDelete