Saturday, July 29, 2023

The thrill was gone

Surgery #5 or 6? I've lost count.  Almost exactly a month since I had surgery to create a fistula access for permanent hemodialysis in my arm. But Monday, the doctor came around for a checkup and couldn't feel or hear the swoosh-swoosh in my wrist (it's called a thrill.)  She asked the nurse to check.  Nope.  Nothing.  That same nurse had verified it the previous Friday (a week ago).  After a whirlwind of communication and by 2pm I was checking in for surgery.  I didn't know it was that serious.

The surgeon did a "declotting procedure" on my arm which, lol, when I described it to a co-worker, perfectly described it as a pipe cleaner.  Except the surgeon used wire & balloons.  He found scar tissue near my wrist.  Since I didn't go under anesthesia, I drove myself home by 5pm.  What a day.  I went to work the next day but by Thursday, my whole forearm is bruised from blood leakage during surgery.  But the thrill is back. 

Edit 8-3-23:  I was about to start looking for a stethoscope so I could hear the thrill. But today I had the bright idea of putting my wrist to my ear.  OMG, it's loud!  You can't do that for a pulse.  Now I know how to check the thrill every day.

1 comment: