Thursday, July 13, 2023

Yikes, more art supplies

When Bro gets back from his trip,  we'll take a day trip up to Santa Barbara.  I want to sketch the Santa Barbara Mission.  Then at some point, I want to sketch the San Buena Ventura Mission. So I was looking for my Sakura Koi field sketching watercolor set.  No idea where it went, I love the 18 colors and the size is so small.  You can't buy the kit anymore for a reasonable price, so I got this 24-color.  I'm a little disappointed that it's TWICE the size of the 18-color set.  I've got 3-4 weeks to practice sketching before he gets back.  I hope to sketch at least one watercolor/day until then.  Some of those sketches may be from photos, leaning toward urban sketching subjects.


My decision was split to get this Kuratake Transparent watercolor set, so I got both!  It's got 14 colors, but these half-pans are removable/replaceable.  I like the colors and the size of the set is smaller than the Sakura Koi, above.  It was described as leaning toward natural landscape colors.  


Since I decided to get back to sketching, I've been carrying my old W&N Cotman pans.  I used these before I discovered the 18-color Koi set.  I never have liked the colors in the Cotman set and it doesn't have black or a dark color I can use when sketching man-made objects.

1 comment:

  1. How is it we always end up with more supplies than we need? These look very useful and fun.

    ReplyDelete